The Norman Transcript

Archive

February 4, 2013

Muskogee County Courthouse employees return to work following bomb threat

Muskogee — Employees went back to work at 12:45 p.m. today after the Muskogee County Courthouse was ordered evacuated at about 9:30 a.m. after officials received a bomb threat.

District Attorney Larry Moore said he was told the unidentified caller sounded distraught about the alleged plans of her husband, who was described as “an ex-military man.” The woman said her husband was armed with plastic explosives.

County Commission Chairman Stephen Wright, District 2,  said an Oklahoma Highway Patrol bomb squad was called in to sweep the courthouse in a search for explosives that might have been planted there before the call was received. Wright said he received the “all-clear” signal shortly after 12:30 p.m.

Wright, in response to the bomb threat, ordered the north entrance to the courthouse annex locked earlier this morning upon the recommendation of Muskogee County Emergency Management Director Jeff Smith. A deputy was posted outside the main entrance of the annex a short time later to screen visitors before they entered the building.

“The information we have is that a man is coming to the courthouse with C-4 (Composition C) explosives,” Wright said. “We’re moving everybody out of the north end” of the annex.  

Courthouse sources said officials were able to track the origins of the call through caller identification. Investigators later contacted the caller, but efforts to locate her husband had proven unsuccessful by noon.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints