The Norman Transcript
NORMAN — Michaels, North America’s largest arts and crafts specialty retailer, announced the grand opening of its new Norman store Sep. 29, featuring an inspiring new design, at 2040 24th Ave. NW.
The new store replaces its former location, 520 Ed Noble Parkway.
A ribbon-cutting ceremony will be at 9:45 a.m., and doors open at 10 a.m. Michaels will give away more than $1,000 in gift cards and prizes hourly throughout the day.
In addition, customers can win items for the whole family from the prize wheel, which includes jewelry, art supplies, stickers, colorful duct tape and more. The celebration continues through the week with gift basket giveaways each evening, and kids can explore their creativity with $2 kids crafting events on Saturdays.
“We hope everyone will come out to help us celebrate during our grand opening festivities on Sept. 29,” store manager Debbie Coughran said. “Our new store features thousands of products that will inspire every crafter at any level from beginner to expert, plus classes for our customers to learn new skills in painting, cake decorating, knitting, scrapbooking and more.”
The store features an open design with wider aisles, warm colors and brighter lighting. Key departments are expanded and reorganized for easy shopping:
· Home Décor and Floral offers everything the DIY decorator needs, with wall art, tabletop décor, dried and silk floral, vases, candles, decorative storage boxes and seasonal items. Expert floral designers create arrangements to order to suit any décor or budget.
· The scrapbooking and paper crafts department features more than 3,000 styles of stickers and embellishments organized by themes like birthday, holiday, sports and travel. New varieties of paper, card stock, an assortment of punches, stamps and ink pads, edging, electronic and manual die cutting, cropping tools, organizers, storage, adhesives and other necessities create a selection for creating cards, décor, art and scrapbooks.
· The jewelry department has more than 6,000 styles of pre-strung and packaged beads including 1,900 bead strands, Swarovski crystals, specialty findings, pendants, charms and tools. Michaels offers customers a chance to learn new techniques through its jewelry making classes.
· The kids and tweens department provides parents with a solution to inspire the imagination through in-store crafting events and an expanded selection of art supplies such as crayons, markers, paint, craft sticks, pompoms, chenille stems, feathers and glitter. The store also offers apparel items such as Tulip Fashion paint, T-shirts and duct tape, plus a large selection of Crayola products, activity kits and Creatology foam.
· The art supplies area includes an expanded canvas selection and fine art papers with more shapes and larger sizes, more than 230 brushes and a broad selection of acrylic, oil and watercolor paints. Brushes and other products are arranged by skill level from student to professional to help any artist buy with confidence.
· Custom framing comes out from behind the counter with an open-style work area that encourages a hands-on design experience. Customers work with Michaels’ expert framers to lay out their artwork with mats and mouldings, which are color coded by price range.
The new store will be approximately 21,880 square feet and employ more than 60 people. Candidates who wish to apply for a position can visitMichaels.com for more information.