The Norman Transcript
NORMAN — The holiday season has arrived. Plenty of people will purchase gifts online and send electronic greeting cards to their loved ones over the next month.
Sheriff Joe Lester wants everyone to be aware of potential scams and remain cautious as they use the Internet. Here are several tips to remember:
· Be careful when opening email attachments.
· Stay cautious using mobile applications.
· Shop online merchants you know and trust.
· Secure the Wi-Fi connection in your home.
· Don’t use a public computer or public wireless account to make online purchases.
· Stay alert for potential charity donation scams.
· Don’t respond to any pop-ups on computers.
Lester said people need to remember these tips before they access any computer devices this season.
“Scam artists are constantly trying to find new ways to access personal information over the Internet,” Lester said. “Don’t be afraid to buy gifts online or send holiday cards to family and friends, but please keep these cyber safety tips in mind when you visit any website or open email.”
Breaking news, severe weather alerts, AMBER alerts, sports scores from The Norman Transcript are available as text messages right to your phone or mobile device. You decide which type of alerts you want to receive. Find out more or to signup, click here.