The Norman Transcript
NORMAN — With school back in session, the Department of Public Safety officials want to remind motorists to use extreme caution when driving in and around school zones and residential areas.
Oklahoma Highway Patrol troopers also want to remind motorists to be especially aware of pedestrians and reduce speed through school zones during the morning and lunch time.
State law requires drivers to stop for school buses loading and unloading.
OHP said always use caution when backing vehicles from a parked position. Small children can quickly move behind vehicles and become difficult for drivers to see.
The following safety tips are encouraged to be used when speaking to children about pedestrian safety:
· Always use cross walks when available
· Never walk in the roadway after dark
· Wear bright-colored clothing
· Use the “buddy system” when walking to and from school
· Never play or walk directly behind vehicles
· Stay alert to inattentive drivers
· Always use sidewalks when available