NORMAN — Package deliveries will multiply as friends and family ship holiday gifts and residents order gifts, Norman police said. Unfortunately, thieves sometimes steal packages from front porches before residents return home from work.
The Norman Police Department provided some tips to help avoid package theft:
· Request a signature confirmation of delivery. The deliverer will have to wait until you’re available or deliver the package to an at-home neighbor.
· Insure valuable items.
· Encourage your neighbors to watch for deliveries and agree to secure each other’s packages. This includes being watchful for any stranger who is going onto porches for no apparent reason or following delivery trucks.
· Have your packages delivered to you at work.
· Track packages online to see when they’re sent to your house for delivery. Many companies offer a text notification to your cell phone when a package has been delivered.
· Provided special instructions for where to deliver packages. A good place is on the side or back of the house so packages are out of sight from the road.
Breaking news, severe weather alerts, AMBER alerts, sports scores from The Norman Transcript are available as text messages right to your phone or mobile device. You decide which type of alerts you want to receive. Find out more or to signup, click here.