NORMAN — Closing arguments are expected to begin today during a Cleveland County jury trial for a former Moore man charged with numerous counts of rape and lewd acts to a child.
Raymond Alan Bates, 40, was charged in 2012 for four counts of first-degree rape and eight counts of lewd molestation or indecent proposal to a child. Bates, who testified in court Monday, agreed with prosecutors when asked if he thought the two girls who made the allegations against him were lying.
Bates said he believed the girls said the things they did because they were upset with him and wanted him out of the house, where he had been living with the girls and his girlfriend at the time in Moore.
Bates said he moved to Ohio after he received physical threats from the brother of his ex-girlfriend’s boyfriend. At the time, he didn’t know anything about the allegations, he said.
Previous testimony by a detective indicated there were several attempts to contact Bates while he was in Ohio, prosecutors said Monday.
Bates said no contact was ever made while he was in Ohio.
He was later brought to Oklahoma in custody because of the charges filed against him.
The trial will be in recess until 8:30 a.m. today in District Judge Lori Walkley’s courtroom.
Breaking news, severe weather alerts, AMBER alerts, sports scores from The Norman Transcript are available as text messages right to your phone or mobile device. You decide which type of alerts you want to receive. Find out more or to signup, click here.