NORMAN — With the possibility of light freezing rain in the forecast for Cleveland County this weekend, Sheriff Joe Lester wants everyone to be prepared for power outages or travel disruptions.
The following tips from the sheriff’s office include:
· Keep a blanket, candles, matches, flashlight, batteries, weather and/or emergency radio, food and bottled water accessible, as well as an extra set of warm clothes and footwear.
· Before traveling, check the forecast either by television or phone.
· Fill the vehicle’s gas tank with plenty of fuel.
· Check oil and fluid levels in the vehicle.
· Inflate tires to the appropriate levels.
· Keep an ice scraper and set of jumper cables in the vehicle.
· If possible, pack a cell phone charger that can be used in the cigarette lighter.
Lester said he hopes everyone remembers these safety tips and uses caution if they trek out for any reasons.
“In the event should Cleveland County see an accumulation of frozen precipitation, please stay home and don’t travel unless it’s absolutely necessary,” Lester said. “Getting out on slick and icy roads only puts yourself and others in danger.”
Breaking news, severe weather alerts, AMBER alerts, sports scores from The Norman Transcript are available as text messages right to your phone or mobile device. You decide which type of alerts you want to receive. Find out more or to signup, click here.