By Jessica Bruha
The Norman Transcript
NORMAN — A residential fire injured a Cleveland County woman Sunday at 106 Jesse St. near 192nd Avenue Northeast and East Franklin Road.
Janet Andrews remained in critical condition Monday after neighbors pulled her out of her burning home and helped confine the fire to her living room with a garden hose, said Jeremy Doss, Little Axe assistant fire chief.
“Everything just happened to be the right place at the right time, as far as the neighbor being able to look over and see smoke coming out of the house,” Doss said. “He kicked the door in and heard the female holler for help.”
The neighbors then got water into the house to keep the fire in check until a fire hose was able to reach the residence and extinguish the flames, he said.
The call came in around 3:45 p.m. Sunday as a female trapped in the house. The woman, who had already been pulled out by her neighbor at that time, was transported to the hospital by Norman EMSStat.
Doss said hospital officials expect her to remain in their care for about a month.
State fire marshals spoke to Andrews, who confirmed the cause of the fire to be a type of smoking material such as a cigarette or cigar, Doss said. Andrews believed she had fallen asleep with smoking material, he said.
Preliminary damage estimates of the manufactured home are about $20,000.
Little Axe and Norman fire departments and Norman EMSStat responded to the call.
Breaking news, severe weather alerts, AMBER alerts, sports scores from The Norman Transcript are available as text messages right to your phone or mobile device. You decide which type of alerts you want to receive. Find out more or to signup, click here.