NORMAN — Several residents were evacuated from University Plaza Apartments, 542 S. University Blvd., around 9 a.m. Tuesday after a kitchen fire in one of the units.
Deputy Fire Chief Jim Bailey said no injuries were reported and the fire was extinguished within two minutes of firefighters arriving on the scene.
The fire was contained to the unit in which it originated.
Bailey said the residents had recently moved in and had left a box of material on top of their electric stove.
“When OG&E turned the power back on, the burners were on,” he said. “It caught the material on fire, and then it caught the cabinets on fire.”
Preliminary damage estimates totaled to approximately $6,000. There was about $5,000 of damage to the structure and $1,000 to the contents, Bailey said.
Breaking news, severe weather alerts, AMBER alerts, sports scores from The Norman Transcript are available as text messages right to your phone or mobile device. You decide which type of alerts you want to receive. Find out more or to signup, click here.