The Norman Transcript

July 10, 2013

Landmarks demolished


The Norman Transcript

NORMAN — Two longtime OU campus landmarks have had to deal with demolition. The Kappa Sigma fraternity house was likely the second Greek house built south of Lindsey Street in the 1940s. The Lambda Chi house on Lindsey is believed to be the first.

Hundreds of Kappa Sigmas have called 1100 College home for more than 60 years. The red-brick colonial style house with a partial basement had thick walls and took a few days for crews to demolish.

A few blocks north, the much smaller Hettie’s House, at 739 College, will come down this summer. It was a rooming house for many years before Delta Gamma sorority purchased the property and used it for overflow housing for members.

The house was built some time between 1925 and 1944 and was home first to sailors and then OU students. The sorority chapter, like most fraternities and sororities, desperately needed parking and decided to level the house this summer.

The Kappa Sigmas have been raising money and will build a new chapter house on the property, a full city block. They’ll not likely need any additional parking spaces.

A few blocks to the east, contractors are finishing construction on OU’s newest housing units. Headington Hall will be home to athletes and non-athletes. Judging by the activity there, they will be open by the start of OU classes Aug. 19.