If hosting a holiday gathering, here are some healthful cooking tips to consider:
· Choose low-fat or fat-free yogurt, sour cream and whipped topping to make dips, sauces and dessert toppings.
· Choose reduced fat or low-fat cheeses to make casseroles and other entrees.
· Use applesauce in place of butter or margarine when baking cakes, muffins or quick breads.
· Sprinkle some chopped or slivered almonds over casseroles for a delicious crunch instead of fried onion ring toppings.
· Choose low-sodium or fat-free chicken broth to add a savory flavor to gravies and mashed potatoes instead of butter or margarine.
· Substitute two egg whites in place of one egg to lower the cholesterol content in certain meals.
Breaking news, severe weather alerts, AMBER alerts, sports scores from The Norman Transcript are available as text messages right to your phone or mobile device. You decide which type of alerts you want to receive. Find out more or to signup, click here.