The Norman Transcript

Features

January 23, 2013

Safely using generator is key to reaping the benefits

NORMAN — A good generator can come in handy, especially in a power outage, but it also can be hazardous to your health if used improperly.

According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), 170 people annually die as a result of misusing portable generators. However, this is an easily reversible trend if some basic safety guidelines are followed.

The main hazards from portable generators are carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, electric shock and fire. Most incidents reported to the CPSC involve CO poisoning from using the machinery in an enclosed or partially enclosed area. CO is an odorless, colorless, and potentially deadly gas.

Generators should only be used outdoors and well away from any air intakes to your home. In confined spaces like houses, garages or sheds, fumes can overwhelm you within minutes, even with fans or open doors and windows.

There also is a risk of shock or electrocution if a generator is used incorrectly, especially when it is wet. If you have a generator in wet conditions, protect it from moisture to cut your risk of shock or electrocution. For instance, you could use an open-sided canopy like structure on a dry surface that blocks water from pooling underneath it.

Appliances should be connected to the generator with only heavy-duty cords designed for outdoor use. Check the wattage rating on each cord to be sure it is more than the combined wattage of all equipment connected to it — include starting wattages. Also, do not string multiple cords together past 50 feet.

Home owners should avoid attempting to power home wiring by plugging a generator into a wall outlet. This dangerous practice, also known as back feeding, increases the risk of electrocution to utility workers and neighbors using the same transformer.

Meanwhile, to avoid fire hazards, it is a good idea to store the fuel for the generator outside the house and away from fuel-burning appliances such as natural gas water heaters. Use non-glass safety containers and be sure to label them clearly. Because gasoline spilled on a hot engine could ignite, generators should be turned off and allowed to cool before refueling.

For more information, visit the CPSC website at www.cpsc.gov.

For local news and more, subscribe to The Norman Transcript Smart Edition, or our print edition.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Features
  • Parents should work on themselves first

    I absolutely love it when people begin to realize that the problems they’re having with a child are of their own making; when they begin to realize, in other words, that the child is not the problem — they are. All this time (however long ...

    July 25, 2014

  • Helping cat with first veterinarian visit

    Dear Dr. Fox: A stray kitty adopted me a couple months ago and has since been tamed enough that I have found a vet to neuter him and do some much-needed dental work. My fear is that the poor boy will be so traumatized by this ordeal that ...

    July 24, 2014

  • Veterans Corner needs volunteer to drive residents to OKC VA

    Veterans Corner volunteer of the week David Sudduth has been with us for the last eight years. He is a veteran of the U.S. Air Force who served during the Vietnam War. David and his wife, Carolyn, have had their home in the Newalla area ...

    July 23, 2014

  • Low-cost and free cell phone options for thrifty seniors

    Dear Savvy Senior, What are the cheapest cell phone options available today to seniors living on a shoestring budget? I only need it for occasional calls. — Seldom Calling Senior Dear Seldom, For financially challenged seniors who only ...

    July 22, 2014

  • Harrah residents at home in restored vintage camper

    Sulphur — David Wiegert was quick to help a couple of newbie campers at the Buckhorn Campground on Arbuckle Lake in the Chickasaw National Recreation Area. What Dave offered was badly needed advice on setting up travel trailers, where to ...

    July 20, 2014

  • Historic quilt from Noble on auction block

    An alert quilter and teacher is concerned about a vintage quilt from Noble that’s being auctioned on eBay....

    July 20, 2014

  • Bark for Life brings pets into fundraising

    Local American Cancer Society member and Norman Regional nurse is at it again, raising awareness for cancer patients with an event that gets people moving. “Bark for Life” is a noncompetitive walk that will be from 8 to 10 a.m. Saturday ...

    July 20, 2014

  • Deadline for entering United Way’s The Ride extended

    Kids ages 3 to 8 are getting ready to roll on their decked out big wheel tricycles in an effort to raise money for the United Way of Norman. The Ride, a big wheel race organized by First American Bank and other local businesses, is ...

    July 20, 2014

  • Fundraiser set

    The Apple Gold Group, a franchisee of Applebee’s Neighborhood Grill and Bar, will host a flapjack fundraiser July 26 at Applebee’s, 500 Ed Noble Parkway in Norman....

    July 20, 2014

  • Sculpture brings tornado-torn community together

    After the May 20 tornado tore through Moore in 2013, hundreds of families were left to pick up the pieces. And it was in these old, shattered pieces of people’s homes and scattered debris that two local artists found something new....

    July 20, 2014