NORMAN — Anyone who wants to know more about lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) issues is invited to attend the fourth annual PFLAG Regional conference to be hosted by PFLAG Norman on June 29.
The all-day conference will take place on The University of Oklahoma campus in Norman at the Anne and Henry Zarrow School of Social Work.
Six CEUs toward renewing a social work license in Oklahoma are available.
Brittany Novotny will deliver the keynote address, followed by three break-out sessions on a wide range of topics, an address by Toby Jenkins of Oklahomans for Equality during the lunch break, and an author’s panel to close out the day of learning.
Novotny is an Oklahoma City attorney who ran for legislative office in 2010, the first known transgender candidate in an Oklahoma election. In that role, Novotny attracted extensive media attention and advanced the public’s awareness of LGBTQ issues in the state. “Claiming a Seat at the Table” will be the subject of the keynote address.
The three break-out sessions will include the following choices:
· “How PFLAG Chapters Evolve,” with Jeff Early, Ann Surles, and Jim Surles, from PFLAG Austin
· “LGBT Related Issues in the Schools,” with Kevin Pattison of Tulsa Community Services Council
· Trans 101 – a panel moderated by Melanie Adams of Brothers, a support group for female to male transgender individuals
· “What National PFLAG Can Do for You,” with Beth Kohm and Kay Holladay,
· PFLAG National Deputy Executive and Southern Regional Directors, respectively
· “Supporting Transgender Youth – Lessons for Parents and Providers,” with Taylor Burns, LCSW, and Tina Patterson, a PFLAG mom
· “Fundraising: Moving Beyond the Annual Letter,” with Dr. Julie Miller-Cribbs of the School of Social Work at the University of Oklahoma
· “Utilizing Technology for Social Change,” with Dr. Steve Krantz, PFLAG Southern Pacific Regional Director
· “LGBTQ Legal Issues,” with Sandy Ingraham, attorney
· “Be Not Afraid – Straight for Equality in our Faith Communities,” with Beth Kohm, PFLAG National Deputy executive director
Toby Jenkins will speak on “Coalition Building – Stronger Together” during the plenary session that follows a catered lunch, which is included in the conference fee. Jenkins is the executive director of the Dennis O’Neill Equality Center in Tulsa.
An author’s panel will conclude the conference day as two PFLAG members share the personal journeys that inspired their books.
Sign-in will begin at 8:30 a.m. and the conference will conclude at 4:30 p.m. The fee for the conference is $25 per person and $15 for a student, which includes a light breakfast, lunch and any materials. Pre-registration is available on Facebook and at pflagnorman.org.