NORMAN — The application deadline for Youth Council— an advisory body composed of local youth who are sophomores, juniors or seniors in high school — is March 29.
In 2010 the Norman City Council approved a resolution forming the Norman Youth Council to provide advice and counsel to the city council and its boards and commissions, as well as other community organizations.
For an application or more information regarding Norman’s Youth Council, contact Carol Coles at 366-5404 or email@example.com.
To download information regarding the City of Norman Youth Council and an application, go to www.normanok.gov and click on “How do I.”
The Youth Council also provides youth in Norman an opportunity to learn about their local government.
Youth Councils promote civic engagement among youth by:
· Giving them a formal role in local decision making
· Offering real-world experiences with elected and advisory bodies
· Teaching them about the role of City Councils, boards and commissions
· Providing them with an opportunity to develop leadership skills and learn how local government operates
· Increasing communication between youth and adults
· Increasing youth volunteerism
Application requirements should include:
· Applicants must live in a ward of the City of Norman. A ward map is available at www.normanok.gov.
· Applicants must be a high school sophomore, junior or senior in the upcoming academic year.
· Applicants must provide a completed application, including two letters of recommendation from adults who are familiar with their service to the community and/or their leadership skills.
· Terms will be for the school year from September to May with a limit of two terms.