The Norman Transcript

November 5, 2013

Cold weather safety tips from Red Cross

Transcript Staff
The Norman Transcript

NORMAN — To reduce the risk of heating-related fires, the Red Cross recommends the following fire prevention tips:

· Keep all things that can burn three feet away from heating equipment.

· Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended, and use a glass or metal fire screen to keep fire and embers in the fireplace.

· Never use a cooking range or oven to heat your home.

· Turn off portable space heaters every time you leave the room or go to sleep.

· Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces and chimneys inspected annually by a professional and cleaned, if necessary.

· Place space heaters on a level, hard and nonflammable surfaces such as ceramic tile floor.

· Plug space heater power cords directly into outlets and never into an extension cord.

Breaking news, severe weather alerts, AMBER alerts, sports scores from The Norman Transcript are available as text messages right to your phone or mobile device. You decide which type of alerts you want to receive. Find out more or to signup, click here.