The Norman Transcript

February 14, 2014

OSU police have phone number of person who called in threat

By Megan Sando
The Norman Transcript

STILLWATER — Oklahoma State University Police have the phone number, and that’s a good start to locating the person who delivered a bomb threat Thursday that turned the usually tranquil campus on its ear.

OSU Police Chief Michael Robinson called bomb threats a form of terrorism. 

“It’s a crime. ... You are using fear and intimidation to disrupt the lives of free citizens and innocent people. I take that pretty seriously,” Robinson said.

University police are actively investigating the bomb threat in the hope of arresting the caller and determining a motive, he said. Officers have the caller’s phone number. They didn’t release the number to the media but said the phone had an Oklahoma area code.

Police, Robinson said, believe the caller was a female, based on the person’s voice.

“We are pursuing that phone number to try to identify the caller,” the chief said. “We will go all out on an investigation to try to find out who is responsible for this.”

A call to action: An OSU operator received the bomb-threat call at 8:45 a.m. Thursday. The operator informed university police.

“I can’t tell you exactly ... The gist of the call was that there was a bomb in the bus terminal on the OSU campus,” Robinson said.

At 8:46 a.m., OSU police officers were on scene, establishing a perimeter and searching the Multimodal Facility and Monroe Street parking garage at the intersection of Hall of Fame Avenue and Monroe Street on campus.

Oklahoma State University spokesman Gary Shutt said the bomb threat specifically targeted the multimodel facility and parking garage.

“Our primary concern is always our faculty, staff and students,” Robinson said.

An initial sweep of the area didn’t turn up any explosive devices, Robinson said. Some students who had cars in the garage were escorted to their vehicles and allowed to leave.

At approximately 10 a.m., Oklahoma State University officials used the university’s campus alert system, telling faculty, staff and students to stay away from the multimodal facility and parking garage because of a threat.

“We waited on that because the rest of the campus wasn’t really under threat. We certainly wanted to notify the campus that we had this situation, and they shouldn’t be coming to this area,” Shutt said.

The bomb threat didn’t disrupt the university’s bus system. A temporary hub was established at Hall of Fame Avenue and Scott Street. Buses were slightly behind schedule, Shutt said.

OSU police had asked the Oklahoma Highway Patrol’s bomb squad to bring their bomb-sniffing dogs and bomb disposal unit to double-check the area.

The OHP unit started its sweep at approximately 11 a.m. The dogs didn’t find any evidence of bomb, Robinson said. 

The multimodal facility and parking garage reopened at 1:10 p.m., according to OSU’s alert system.

Breaking news, severe weather alerts, AMBER alerts, sports scores from The Norman Transcript are available as text messages right to your phone or mobile device. You decide which type of alerts you want to receive. Find out more or to signup, click here.