“Everybody just presented their budgets — what their estimate of needs is for the next fiscal year,” County Commissioner Chair Rod Cleveland said. “Of course, some department heads were asking for some modest amounts of pay raises.”
All of the county officers and department heads were cognizant of keeping spending down.
“Some of them asked for an increase in payroll but took a decrease in capital improvements where they didn’t need anything,” Cleveland said. “There is an increase in the cost of doing business from year to year.”
Cleveland said the cost of benefits and insurance goes up annually and the budget must account for that.
County departments presented budget requests for the coming fiscal year that begins July 1. From now through June, the Budget Board will work on creating a balanced and fiscally responsible budget.
At the commissioners meeting, Undersheriff Rhett Burnett said 400 prisoners currently are in the F. DeWayne Beggs Detention Center. Of those, 110 are Department of Corrections prisoners, 99 of which have judgment and sentencing and are ready to be transported to state facilities. Until those prisoners are transported, the state reimburses the county for a portion of their care.
Commissioners approved the following blanket purchase orders:
· District 1 — Dave’s Small Engine, $500; Warren Cat $3,500; Fleet Pride $1,500; Palace Auto Supply $3,500, Don’s Mobil Lock $300; Crossland’s A&A Rent $1,000, Bruckner’s Truck Sales $2,500; ATC Freightliner $1,200; Farm Plan, Inc. $500; Lampton Welding Supply $1,000
· District 2 — C.L. Boyd Company $2,000; Industrial Specialties $1,200; Noble Farm and Building $2,000
· District 3 — The Farm Store $500; Waste Disposal $200; Interstate Battery of SW Oklahoma $1,500; P&K Equipment $1,500; T& W Tire $2,500
· OSU Extension Center — CDW Government $300
· Health Department — Trent Bourland $2,000; Lowe’s Companies Inc. $300; Smirk New Media $6,000
· Sheriff’s Office — Occupational Health Center $750; Forest Lumber Company $200; Copelin’s Office Center $500
Commissioners approved the following purchase orders: General Fund $721,416; Highway Fund $168,472; Health Fund $166,746; Sheriff Service Fee Fund $1,018; Sheriff Commissary Fund $4,094; Sheriff Revolving Fund $21,636; Sheriff Cleveland County Justice Center $3,853; Sheriff Criminal Alien Assistance Grand Fund $1,732; County Clerk Preservation Fund $26,409, Fair Board $3,057.