The Norman Transcript

October 5, 2012

Absentee ballots still available for voters

Transcript Staff
The Norman Transcript

NORMAN — Voters in Cleveland County who want to have absentee ballots mailed to them for the Nov. 6 General Election should apply now, County Election Board Secretary Jim Williams said today.

Although the County Election Board can accept applications for absentee ballots until 5 p.m. Oct. 31,. Williams urged voters who want to vote by absentee to apply early.

Absentee ballot application forms are available at the County Election Board office, 641 E. Robinson St., Suite 200, in Norman. Forms also can be downloaded and printed from the Cleveland County Election Board site,

“At least two mail transactions must be made,” Williams said. “The County Election Board must mail the ballots to the voter, and the voter must return the voted ballots by mail.”

Ballots must be in the hands of the County Election Board by 7 p.m. on election day to be counted.

Williams said any registered voter may vote by absentee ballot in any election in which he or she is eligible to vote. It is not necessary to give a reason — or excuse — for voting absentee.

“While anyone can vote absentee without giving a reason, the law still provides several excuses, and it is to the advantage of some voters to use one of them,” Williams said.

By stating one of the following reasons on their applications, these voters can activate some special conditions that make it easier for them to use absentee ballots. The reasons are:

· Voters who are physically incapacitated and voters who care for physically incapacitated persons who cannot be left unattended may vote absentee. They may apply only by mail, by fax or telegraph.

· Voters who are confined to nursing homes in the county may vote absentee. An Absentee Voting Board goes to the nursing home a few days before the election, sets up a small polling place and allows these persons to vote under circumstances similar to those at a regular precinct polling place. They may apply only by mail or fax.

· Military personnel and residents of the county living overseas and spouses and dependents of each group are eligible to vote absentee without being registered. These voters may apply by mail, email or fax.

Military personnel should contact the Voting Service Officers in their units for application forms and additional information. Residents of Oklahoma living overseas can obtain the same materials from any United States military installation and from United States Embassies and Consulates.

Military personnel and overseas citizens also can download the appropriate application form from the Internet at

Voters who have questions about absentee voting may call the Cleveland County Election Board Office at 366-0210.

For local news and more, subscribe to The Norman Transcript Smart Edition, or our print edition.