Bates was reported to have said during one of the calls that he was going to get his shotgun and blow the victim away, the search warrant stated.
A history of violence: The Norman detective found that Bates also had ties in Norman and Oklahoma City in regard to threatening phone calls and other crimes. Listed below is a timeline of reports or arrests Bates was involved in, as listed in the search warrant.
· Sept. 2, 1983: Listed as a suspect for obscene communication at the University of Oklahoma. The report filed by the victim stated that Bates called her and told her he wanted to do various sexual acts to her. Notes of the same nature also were left on the victim’s dormitory memo board and on her car.
· June 11, 1988: Indecent exposure/peeping tom report in Norman with Bates listed as the suspect. A warrant request was submitted on the case.
· July 8, 2005: Arrested in Norman for domestic abuse in the presence of a minor child. Bates was accused of striking his stepson in the face and choking the stepson from behind after the stepson fell to the ground.
· Aug. 6, 2010: Listed as a suspect in an obscene, threatening, harassing phone call in Norman. Police learned Bates had left the victim a voicemail threatening physical harm to the victim as well as threats to kill the victim.
· Nov. 13, 2004: Arrested for domestic abuse in the presence of a minor child and assault and battery in Oklahoma City. The report indicates that he knocked a cup of hot coffee out of the victim’s hands onto the bed where a small child laid and then punched the victim five to six times with a closed fist, then placed his fingers around the victim’s throat and attempted to choke her.
· Dec. 31, 2004: Listed as the suspect in reference to a threatening phone call in which he was threatening to “get (the victim)” and come to her house and kill her in Oklahoma City.