The Norman Transcript

September 8, 2013

Good Samaritan to the rescue

By Mack Burke
The Norman Transcript

NORMAN — Earls Flowers and Gifts owner Sherri Ormes is a full time florist, but when 72-year-old Leroy Webb suffered an electric scooter accident in front of her shop she changed gears to good Samaritan.

It happened at about noon on Aug. 15.

Webb had fallen at the corner of  Gray Street and Classen Boulevard — a very busy intersection at a bustling time of day.

Ormes just happened to see the dazed man in the street. 

“There were all these people and not one person stopped,” Ormes said. “Not one car even asked if they could help us or anything.”

Webb said he wanted to go home, but she wasn’t having it. She drove him to Norman Regional Hospital where Webb discovered he had broken his neck.

He was outfitted with a halo brace and placed in critical care for a week.

For a man whose suffered through polio, pneumatic fever, heart complications and a bevy of broken bones Webb still called the accident a 10 on the pain scale.

“I went to visit him the very next day, and he was in pretty bad shape,” Ormes said. “I kept calling every day to see when he was getting out of intensive care.”

With a bouquet of flowers in tow, Ormes returned to visit when Webb was put in progressive care.

“Why wouldn’t somebody (help him)? I mean, I think that’s the problem with the world today. Nobody wants to get involved. Everybody is so busy with their own things. I always help, no matter what. If I’ve got a dollar and somebody needs it more than me, it’s theirs. My husband will testify to that,” Ormes said. “I never would’ve thought anything but to help the man.”

Leroy’s wife Kathy Webb was thankful.

“God bless her. She was our angel that day. God bless her for everything she’s done because everyone else just passed him by. She didn’t call me till 1:20. I don’t know how long he was out there. She doesn’t either. I’m glad she got to him.”

Webb called himself lucky and said the rehabilitation process is getting “better and better.”

“(Ormes) is a fine lady. I can tell you that. I’m going to pay her a special visit when I get out of here.

Webb was discharged from the hospital on Wednesday.

As for the scooter, it’s already managed to injure another member of the Webb family. A week after the accident Webb’s grandson fell of the bike and bruised his tailbone.

“I said papa broke the top and you broke the bottom,” Kathy said.

Asked whether they’ll be keeping it, she said “Oh no. I think that scooter’s jinxed and needs to go.”