NORMAN — A fire at Alpha Gamma Delta sorority, 930 Chautauqua Ave., was called in shortly before 11 p.m. Tuesday, fire officials reported.
The AGD house is part of “sorority row,” located near campus just north of Lindsey Street. Flames were clearly visible in the night sky as firefighters worked to contain the blaze.
When fire crews arrived on the scene, flames were coming from the roof, Deputy Fire Chief Jim Bailey said. Everyone was safely evacuated. No injuries had been reported as of press time.
Bailey said the fire was attacked from the inside. No outside stream of water was used. The blaze was brought under control by 11:30 p.m., but crews remained on the scene to fight hot spots.
Residents of other houses along the row and other students lined the streets. None of them had heard any chatter as to the possible cause of the blaze, though one man said the sorority had been doing construction on the roof.
Fire marshals were on the scene, but Bailey said there were no indications of the cause of the fire at press time.
“It appears most of the fire had been in the attic area,” Jim Bailey said.
Breaking news, severe weather alerts, AMBER alerts, sports scores from The Norman Transcript are available as text messages right to your phone or mobile device. You decide which type of alerts you want to receive. Find out more or to signup, click here.