The Norman Transcript

January 15, 2014

Cause of house fire determined

By Jessica Bruha
The Norman Transcript

NORMAN — Norman Deputy Fire Chief Jim Bailey announced that the cause of fire Monday near 48th Avenue Northeast and Tecumseh Road has been determined.

“The homeowner of the property that burned up was cutting pipe in front (of the house) with a circular saw, which shot sparks and caught the grass on fire, causing the structure fire,” Bailey said Tuesday.

The home, located between 48th and 60th avenues, north of Alameda Street and south of Robinson Street, was unoccupied and no one was living there, Bailey said.

The fire, which was originally called in as a grass fire around 3 p.m. Monday, was contained within the hour. No injuries were reported.

Bailey said the home sat in a wooded area with lots of cedar trees and grass. A second structure was located near the home that burned, but it was not damaged, he said.

The blaze scorched about six acres of land. Current weather conditions are making it a dangerous time of year for fires, Bailey said.

Four Norman Fire Department stations responded to the blaze, with mutual aid from Little Axe and Slaughterville.

Jessica Bruha

366-3540

jbruha@normantranscript.com

Breaking news, severe weather alerts, AMBER alerts, sports scores from The Norman Transcript are available as text messages right to your phone or mobile device. You decide which type of alerts you want to receive. Find out more or to signup, click here.