NORMAN — Oklahoma City firefighters responded to an explosion just inside Cleveland County borders in Oklahoma City. The Red Cross also was called in to provide drinks and snacks to 50 to 70 first responders.
Emergency management reports that four to five families have been impacted. Red Cross volunteers will make sure they have a place to stay and put them up in hotels, if they are needed.
According to media reports, Oklahoma Natural Gas crews arrived a half hour before the explosion in response to reports of the smell of natural gas.
Firefighters were called to the home at 9208 SW 92nd St. late Thursday afternoon around 5 p.m. The area of SW 92nd St. and Villa were evacuated while crews worked to contain the blaze.
ONG crews continued to work to seal off the gas line leak and had the area stabilized around 6 p.m.
Witnesses reported hearing the explosion as far as 15 blocks away.
“I do not know how that original call came in,” ONG Public Information Officer Cherokee Ballard said. “Safety is our major concern.”
A woman was reportedly inside when the house exploded, but early reports indicate that she is OK.
Ballard could not verify that an ONG employee rushed in and saved the woman.
The explosion is under investigation, but reports indicate that a contractor may have cut a line.
“We have launched an investigation to see what we can find out,” Ballard said.