The Norman Transcript
NORMAN — Editor, The Transcript:
In response to “Forum,” Edward V. Harris in the Transcript April 14, 2013, I am also a 100 percent disabled veteran of 27 years service. The opposition of my and most conservatives to Obamacare has absolutely nothing to do with President Obama’s African American heritage, the thousands of military men and women who have died in defense of our nation, nor the trillions of dollars of debt you relate to. Do you know that President Obama created more debt in his first four years in office than all the other presidents before him? You say it is a disgrace that medical support to the poor and the old may be restricted. Well, except for Medicaid, support has been restricted and will be even more. Here are some facts for you about what Obamacare really does:
· raises taxes by one half trillion dollars over the next 10 years,
· increases spending by $2.6 trillion immediately,
· adds 30 million people to Medicaid, adding trillions to the national debt,
· cuts $575 billion from Medicare to finance Medicaid,
· results in seven million seniors losing Medicare Advantage plans,
· results in many doctors no longer seeing Medicare patients,
· will result in a shortfall of nearly 30,000 primary care physicians now and 65,800 by 2025 as many quit,
· causes 30 percent of employers to make employees part time and therefore not eligible for benefits,
· has already caused health insurance premiums for some to jump 25 to 45 percent,
· will cause premiums for a family of four to jump from an average of $15,073 in 2011 to $32,175 in 2021,
· reveals that annual premiums for those with preexisting conditions will average $6,300,
· allows the Independent Payment Advisory Board to decide what care seniors receive,
· allows the Preventative Services Task Force to decide what treatments are covered,
· provides $5 billion in subsidies to employers to cover health care costs for union retirees,
· contains a Medicare “efficiency” measure to discourage hospitals from expending resources on seniors.
These are the things that are real disgraces. Sources for this information include the act itself, Congressional Budget Office, Physicians Foundation and Department of Health and Human Services. To help pay for Obamacare, retirement benefits for veterans and seniors are being reduced.
Thomas G. Niblett
Chief Master Sergeant (Retired)
United States Air Force
For local news and more, subscribe to The Norman Transcript Smart Edition, or our print edition.