NORMAN — Four Norman High School students were transported Monday morning to Norman Regional Hospital after reportedly overdosing on prescription medication and were later released.
According Norman Public Schools spokeswoman Shelly Hickman, the students’ trip to the hospital was standard policy for suspected drug use and not due to a medical emergency.
“The four students were taken to the hospital to be observed and evaluated after exhibiting signs of being under the influence, which is Norman Public Schools’ policy,” Hickman said. “Today’s response was a collaborative effort between school administration and Norman police.”
Norman Fire and EMSStat responded to NHS at approximately 11 a.m. on reports of a substance overdose.
Norman Regional spokeswoman Kelly Wells confirmed that four minors were treated and released after approximately an hour.
“Based on interviews we conducted, students brought prescription medication from home and distributed it among friends and classmates. Two students were transported to juvenile detention by police,” Hickman said. “NPS has a very tough policy on on-campus drug use. We can’t prevent rules from being broken, but when it happens, the consequences are swift and tough.”
Hickman added that students found guilty of drug violations receive a one-year suspension from school, including all extra-curricular activities on campus.