NORMAN — The 30th annual Jazz in June festival kicks off today and will continue until Saturday. The free festival began as a single concert in 1984 that drew a crowd of 300. Now this Norman tradition is expected to attract 50,000 people.
A total of 10 groups will perform during the festival, representing a wide range of genres that all fall under the jazz umbrella. Jim Johnson, Jazz in June program chair, said there is something for every musical taste.
“It’s a tradition we try to keep alive. I think the sound is infectious and we love it and it doesn’t seem to be going anywhere and that’s great,” Johnson said. “It doesn’t seem to be any less influential than it ever has been.”
Blues Under the Stars, Today
· 7 p.m. — Parker Millsap, Brookhaven Village
· 9 p.m. — Duke Robillard, Brookhaven Village
· 11 p.m. — Blues Jam hosted by Nina Medley and Weather Permitting, Joy’s Palace
Jazz Under the Stars, Friday
· 7:15 p.m. — A Taste of Herb, Brookhaven Village
· 9:15 p.m. — Fareed Haque & Math Games!, Brookhaven Village
Jazz in the Park, Saturday
· 6:45 p.m. — The Paseo Street Walkers, Andrews Park
· 7:10 p.m. — Justin Echols Jazz Trio, Andrews Park
· 9 p.m. — The Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Andrews Park
· 11 p.m. — Jazz Jam hosted by The Justin Echols Jazz Trio, Norman Depot
* Norman High School Jazz Combo is performing during intermissions 6-9 p.m.
· Brookhaven Village is located at 3700 W. Robinson St.
· Andrews Park is located at 201 W. Daws St.
· Joy’s Palace is located at 300 E. Main St.
· Norman Depot is located at 200 S. Jones Ave.