PORTO ALEGRE, Brazil —
“It might have happened because of the Sputnik, the machine we use to create a luminous effect with sparks. It’s harmless. We never had any trouble with it.
“When the fire started, a guard passed us a fire extinguisher. The singer tried to use it, but it wasn’t working”
He confirmed that accordion player Danilo Jacques, 28, died, while the five other members made it out safely.
Police Maj. Cleberson Braida Bastianello said by telephone that the toll had risen to 233 with the death of a hospitalized victim — he said earlier that the death toll was likely made worse because the nightclub appeared to have just one exit through which patrons could exit.
Officials counted 232 bodies that had been brought for identification to a gymnasium in Santa Maria. Federal Health Minister Alexandre Padhilha told a news conference that most of the 117 people treated in hospitals had been poisoned by gases they breathed during the fire.