LOS ANGELES — The movie studio that makes the “Fast & Furious” action franchise said Tuesday it was suspending production of the latest installment while authorities press ahead with their investigation into how Paul Walker died.
The Los Angeles County coroner’s office said it has completed autopsies on the two bodies recovered from the fiery crash of a powerful Porsche that Walker, a star of the mega-hit movies, and his friend were last seen riding in.
Walker’s publicist has said the actor was the passenger when Roger Rodas’ 2005 Porsche Carrera GT crashed into a light pole and tree, then exploded in flames Saturday.
The muscular, limited-edition car is known to be not just fast — it can hit 100 mph in less than seven seconds — but also difficult to handle. It is low to the ground, making it susceptible to bumps or debris in the road.
The families of both men have provided dental records, which will permit not only formal identification of the bodies, but also official word on whether Walker or Rodas was behind the wheel.
Results of the autopsies and identifications will be released today, the coroner’s office said.
Walker starred in all but one of the six “Fast & Furious” blockbusters, films that glorified fast cars and dangerous driving.
He had been on break from shooting the latest installment, and Universal Pictures said Tuesday that production of “Fast & Furious 7” is on hold.
Much of the film has been shot, and it is scheduled for release in July. Universal Pictures has not said how it will adjust the movie to account for Walker’s death.
Meanwhile, accident investigators trying to piece together what happened were hindered by the crowds of fans that continued to flock to the crash site about 30 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles.