MANILA, Philippines — A ferry with more than 800 people aboard sank near the central Philippine port of Cebu after colliding with a cargo vessel, killing at least 24 people. Hundreds of others were rescued, the coast guard said Saturday.
Dozens were still missing, but authorities could not give an official figure.
The captain of the ferry MV Thomas Aquinas ordered the ship abandoned after it began listing and then sank after the collision late Friday, coast guard officer Joy Villegas said.
Cebu coast guard chief, Cmdr. Weniel Azcuna, said 24 people, including children, were confirmed dead and 629 passengers had been rescued by early Saturday.
Speaking by telephone from Cebu, Azcuna said they were still searching the waters for survivors. He also said authorities were still trying to determine the actual number of people on board.
In a statement, ferry owner 2Go said the roll-on-roll-off ship had 723 passengers and 118 crew or a total of 841 people aboard and carried 104 20-foot (6-meter) steel containers.
It said the ferry “was reportedly hit” by the cargo vessel “resulting in major damage that led to its sinking.”
Azcuna said the coast guard was still focused on rescue off Cebu, 570 kilometers (350 miles) south of Manila, and will begin investigations later.
Navy divers told reporters at the scene of the collision, about 2 kilometers from the shore, that they saw several dead bodies still underwater.
Danny Palmero, a former fisherman, said he was with friends who responded to the ferry’s distress call and rescued seven people on their motorized outrigger canoe.
“I saw many flares being shot,” he said by telephone. “As a former nautical student, I knew it was a distress signal.”
He said a fisherman arrived at the shore later with three survivors and told the crowd gathered that there was a collision and that there were many people in the water.