NORMAN — L.B. Pearson was born Nov. 3, 1926, east of Marlow to Louis and Ray Pearson. He was the youngest of their five children; he had three brothers — Clyde, Don and Wayne — and one sister, Jewell. He also had an older half-brother and sister, Price and Lillian. LB. grew up on various farms in the Marlow/Central High area and attended the community schools.
At age 18, he was drafted into the U.S. Army/Air Force toward the end of World War II. L.B. married Gertrude Nunley on June 30, 1945. They made their first homes while in the service in Amarillo and San Antonio. After military service, L.B. and Gertrude moved to Duncan, where they spent the next 23 years. They had two children, Carol and Randy.
L.B. worked for Maytag in appliance sales and repair for 17 years and then established Pearson’s Appliance. Gertrude opened a beauty shop in their home. In 1964, L.B. began working for Civil Service Post Engineers at Ft. Sill in Lawton and lived there for 23 years. He retired in 1980. Carol encouraged them to move to Norman to be closer to their children and grandchildren, and they moved to their current residence in Norman in 1994.
Known as “B” to family and friends, he was a member of NorthHaven Baptist Church. He was an ordained deacon, and his faith and service were an important part of his life. “B” enjoyed wood carving, knife collecting and, most of all, gardening. His yard was a labor of love, and he particularly enjoyed sharing it with others.
When he could no longer garden, he enjoyed bird watching and even got a kick out of watching pesky squirrels take over his bird feeders. “B” loved the OU Sooners, especially women’s basketball, and in recent years became a Thunder fan.