NORMAN — Editor, The Transcript:
Re: The latest opinion poll by the Republican Party
I am 76 years old and interested in Question No. 7, under Government Growth, which states, “Should Republican leaders develop a plan to reign in the unsustainable growth in spending on Social Security and Medicare in order to preserve these programs for the future generations?”
Before I can answer this question there are a few questions I have of my own:
1. Republicans and Democrats have borrowed $4.5 trillion from Social Security. Are we paying interest on it? If so, how much per year?
2. How much does Social Security cost per year now?
3. How much does Medicare cost per year now?
4. Are Congress and the president still borrowing from Social Security and how much per year?
5. If paid back and left alone, how long would Social Security last at present taxation?
The people of our great nation, both Republicans and Democrats, need these answers and solid figures. It is time for both parties to quit using Social Security as a scare tactic to get votes and start telling the truth.
By the way, it is not “Obamacare,” it is “Democrat Care” and we, the taxpayers, cannot afford it.
H. G. TAYLOR
Breaking news, severe weather alerts, AMBER alerts, sports scores from The Norman Transcript are available as text messages right to your phone or mobile device. You decide which type of alerts you want to receive. Find out more or to signup, click here.