The Norman Transcript
NORMAN — Editor, The Transcript:
The Affordable HealthCare Act (ACA), known as Obamacare, is the law.
Many insurance companies helped draft the bill which will be managed through insurance exchanges. The companies agreed to lower premiums in exchange for millions of additional customers. According to information from the Health Insurance Marketplace, benefits offered will include:
1. People with pre-existing conditions may now purchase insurance.
2. Children 26 and younger may remain on their parent’s insurance policy.
3. There are no limits on coverage and policies cannot be canceled in cases of catastrophic health issues.
4. Companies must follow the 80/20 rule. That is, insurers must use at least 80 percent of premium monies for healthcare, 20 percent or less for operating costs, with any unused monies of the 80 percent refunded to the customers, as was done earlier this year.
5. There is no cost for preventive care and you may choose your own primary care doctor.
6. Although prices will not be set until October, generous subsidies will be allowed to help pay premiums.
For further information, contact the Health Insurance Marketplace at 1-800-318-2596. You may set up an account at Healthcare.Gov now.
Open enrollment starts Oct. 1, 2013 with insurance coverage starting Jan. 1, 2014. Open enrollment ends Mar. 31, 2014.
Obtaining Affordable Healthcare Insurance is your right. Don’t depend on the negative words of someone who doesn’t know the facts or TV talking heads about ACA. You will get correct information from the official number above.