The Norman Transcript
NORMAN — Today, as the nation pauses to celebrate the most American of holidays, we collectively appreciate all that we have. As a nation, compared to most of the world, we remain rich and blessed. When we drill down, our complaints are mostly First World problems.
We are thankful today:
· For the military service men and women overseas who are winding down the war in Afghanistan and those still serving in Iraq. Their sacrifices are appreciated yearround, but today we are most thankful.
· For warm homes and deep-rooted families with holiday traditions that span generations: food, front-yard football, dominoes and card games that just seem to pick back up from the last holiday we celebrated together.
· For first responders and law enforcement personnel, many who are not with their families today because they are working, who risk their lives on a daily basis to serve those in need.
· For a rebounding economy, with plentiful and meaningful jobs that support our families.
· For our democracy and leaders, those elected and those appointed, and the decisions they make.
· For teachers and schools who perform miracles every day.
· For our readers, advertisers, employees and their families who still believe in the value that a newspaper adds to its community.
Breaking news, severe weather alerts, AMBER alerts, sports scores from The Norman Transcript are available as text messages right to your phone or mobile device. You decide which type of alerts you want to receive. Find out more or to signup, click here.