By John Shinn
The Norman Transcript
NORMAN — Oklahoma got the commitment it needed most for the 2013 season on Monday. All-Big 12 cornerback Aaron Colvin decided he will return for his senior season.
“I still have unfinished business at Oklahoma,” Colvin said in a statement. “I’m excited for the opportunity to be back on the field with my teammates in 2013. There are team and individual goals that I’d still like to accomplish at OU.”
If Colvin would have entered the NFL Draft, the Sooners would’ve have entered spring practice in March needing to replace their entire secondary from the 2012 season. Cornerback Demontre Hurst and safety Javon Harris were both seniors. Safety Tony Jefferson announced last week he will forego his senior season.
Colvin gives defensive coordinator Mike Stoops someone to build next season’s secondary around.
“I am pleased that Aaron has come to this decision and I believe it’s the right one for him,” OU coach Bob Stoops said in a statement. “I believe he has an opportunity to become one of the premiere defensive players in the Big 12 and in the country. Hopefully he’ll continue to work hard to reach that potential and help us achieve our team goals.”
Colvin said during the lead up to the AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic that earning All-American honors was a goal he set for himself when he came to OU. Over the last three seasons, it is the only honor that eluded him. Colvin has started in 39 career games, collecting 179 tackles, 10 tackles for loss, four interceptions, 2.5 sacks, two fumble recoveries and 20 pass breakups.
In 2012, Colvin was an All-Big 12 selection both by the Associated Press and the league’s coaches. His 11 pass breakups and four interceptions led the Sooners in both categories.
With Colvin sticking around, the Sooners appear to have their returning players set for next season. Today is the final day underclassmen can declare for the NFL Draft.
Follow me @john_shinn
For local news and more, subscribe to The Norman Transcript Smart Edition, or our print edition.