NORMAN — Early this month, the NCAA put the brakes on some rule proposals that would have deregulated college football recruiting. No limits on correspondence — written or verbal — were among the rules the governing body was prepared ditch, along with moving up the age of when a high school player becomes recruitable.
The changes were halted for one major reason: several BCS conferences and many coaches were against the changes. Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops was one of many to strongly voice concerns over the proposals.
“I’m glad they’re looking at it. It needs to be well thought out,” he said.
Until the NCAA halted the changes May 2, college football recruiting was heading into uncharted territory. Some schools had already started hiring personnel departments because the NCAA would no longer limit contact with recruits to just on-the-field coaches.
However, the biggest concern many coaches had was no longer prohibiting
contact during certain periods. In a sense, the NCAA was ready to create a free-for-all where schools could go after recruits 365 days a year. There would no longer be limits on the amount of calls or text messages that could be sent to recruits. Also, the limits on the amount of mail a school could send and when they could start being recruited were set to be deregulated.
Stoops believes there are some rules that needs to be amended, but the NCAA’s plan were too much, too soon.
“Seemed like they were just ready to, in other words, let’s take it out of the NCAA and our compliance hands, and let’s have no regulation,” he said. “Well, I don’t think that’s the right thing to do. I don’t think it’s been totally broke, so let’s not totally change it.”
What the NCAA wanted was to eliminate the contact rules that had been widely broken over the years. Numerous schools have been caught or turned themselves in for secondary violations involving too many calls or texts to recruits. OU’s turned itself in for them several times.