The Norman Transcript

January 24, 2014

UPDATE: Fire destroys home in southeast part of county

Family escapes flames

By Joy Hampton
The Norman Transcript

SLAUGHTERVILLE, OK — A fire on 48th Avenue SE  near Cemetery Road destroyed a small home and its contents Friday afternoon.

The home’s occupants said they had put a space heater in their well house and it malfunctioned and caught fire. 

“We’ve lost everything and our two children have lost everything. We have a 7-year old and an 8-year old,” said the mother, Jami Lavon-Butts.

She said the children were home sick and that everyone escaped the home which is owned by her mother who lives in Texas.

“We saw it start and called 911. It was to the house in five minutes,” she said. 

Several firefighters were on the scene Friday afternoon. Slaughterville and help from Noble, Cedar Country, Purcell and Lexington fire departments.

Cleveland County sheriff’s department was also on the scene.