NORMAN — Firefighters responded to one of Norman's largest commercial fires this year at Hibdon Tires, just north of Main Street on Interstate Drive on Sunday evening.
The call came in at 5:44 p.m. It was fully involved when firefighters arrived on scene. There were visible flames and smoke from what Norman Deputy Fire Chief Jim Bailey said was probably the biggest commerical fire in Norman this year.
"I started crying because I have this habit of leaving my stove on and I thought it was my apartment. I said 'oh my god, did I leave my stove on again?" said Jane Allen, a Norman resident watching firefighters extinguish the fire.
Allen said she was coming back from McDonald's on Robinson Street when she saw the big, black clouds of smoke towering over the area.
Five fire units responded as police tried to keep on-lookers away from the blaze. Travelodge, a nearby motel, was evacuted and Interstate Drive was shut down from Main Street to Boardwalk.
OG&E was also on scene to assist with any electrical issues.