The Norman Transcript

July 8, 2013

Summer cooling assistance applications begin Tuesday

Transcript Staff
The Norman Transcript

NORMAN — The Oklahoma Department of Human Services (DHS) will begin accepting applications Tuesday for low-income households needing help with their cooling bills.

A limited amount of summer cooling assistance funds will be made available across the state through the federal Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), which is administered through the DHS.

The funds are designed to help low-income households that are extremely vulnerable to summer-heat stresses. DHS will accept applications beginning Tuesday, and will continue until all allocated funds are depleted. DHS has approximately $16 million in federal funds for this year’s Summer Cooling Program in Oklahoma.

Eligibility for LIHEAP is based on each household’s income and assets. If you or someone you know may be income-eligible and are at risk for heat-related health problems due to the inability to afford adequate cooling, you are encouraged to apply for the Summer Cooling Program available at your local DHS County Office.

Many households that receive public assistance through DHS may be automatically authorized for summer cooling assistance and will not need to make application. Preauthorized households will be notified of their eligibility by letter prior to the beginning of the application period.

The anticipated benefit amounts are $120 for a one-person household, while a household of two or more may receive $180.  Only one payment per household is allowed annually for LIHEAP summer cooling assistance.

The maximum income guidelines are:

1 member household, $1,024

2 member household, $1,387

3 member household, $1,750

4 member household, $2,113

5 member household, $2,476

6 member household, $2,839

7 member household, $3,202

8 member household, $3,565

Persons applying should have the latest electric bill for their home and verification of income information when they make application.

For more information, contact the local DHS human services center in your county of residence.