NEW YORK —
If any of the canceled games can be rescheduled in the event of a quick settlement remains to be seen.
Daly told the AP in an email that if a deal is reached, the league will try to play as many games as possible.
“Having said that, once clubs begin releasing dates and rebooking their buildings, as they will be free to do for the month of November, the process will obviously get more difficult and complicated,” he wrote.
A quick decision on the status of the New Year’s Day outdoor Winter Classic and the All-Star game later in January isn’t expected, Daly said.
“They’re going to keep exercising the power that they have to be able to lock us out, and the thought that they can cancel games to try to sway us their way,” Chicago Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews said. “We’ll see what happens in the next little while and see where it goes from there.”
Last week, the NHL offered a 50-50 split of hockey-related revenues, which exceeded $3 billion last season, but that proposal was rejected by the union. The players responded with three counteroffers, all of which would get the sides to a 50-50 deal, but the league quickly turned them down.
The NHL proposal was contingent on the league playing a full 82-game season, beginning on Nov. 2, which now won’t happen.