NORMAN — The Red Cross offers the following tips to avoid house fires as the temperatures drop:
· All heaters need space. Keep all things that can burn (paper, matches, bedding, furniture, clothing, carpets and rugs) at least three feet away from heating equipment.
· Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended and use a glass or metal fire screen to keep fire and embers in the fireplace
· Never use a cooking range or oven to heat your home
· Turn off portable space heaters every time you leave the room or go to sleep
· Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces and chimneys inspected annually by a professional and cleaned, if necessary
· If you must use a space heater, place it on a level, hard and nonflammable surface such as ceramic tile floor, not on rugs or carpets.
· Plug space heater power cords directly into outlets.
Breaking news, severe weather alerts, AMBER alerts, sports scores from The Norman Transcript are available as text messages right to your phone or mobile device. You decide which type of alerts you want to receive. Find out more or to signup, click here.