NORMAN — The Norman Chamber of Commerce awarded Chris Aubrey Purcell with the 2014 Women’s Leadership Award.
Chris Aubrey Purcell has been a leader and an example for University of Oklahoma students since starting at the institution of higher learning as a resident counselor in 1972.
Over the course of the years, she has risen through the ranks, serving as:
· Assistant director of center for student development
· Director of student development
· Assistant vice president for student affairs and director of student development
· Interim vice president for student affairs
· Vice president for university governance
· Executive secretary designate, the State of Oklahoma Board of Regents
· Adjunct assistant professor of human relations and of higher education.
While Purcell’s work ethic and excellence throughout her career are enough to earn recognition, her leadership also penetrates her personal life.
Pucell has spent hours volunteering for the Assistance League of Norman, Norman Junior League and other local causes.
Volunteerism for Purcell is a way to impact her community.
Purcell hopes people feel that she made a difference in their lives, in the community and by inspiring others to reach their goals.
Annually, the Chamber of Commerce recognizes women who demonstrate excellence, creativity and initiative in their career in volunteering endeavors. The award also honors women who have provided a valuable service to improve the quality of life for others in Norman and who assist women in reaching their full potential.
Breaking news, severe weather alerts, AMBER alerts, sports scores from The Norman Transcript are available as text messages right to your phone or mobile device. You decide which type of alerts you want to receive. Find out more or to signup, click here.