NORMAN — This year, the Norman Rotary Club awarded grants to 12 local agencies.
Bueno Brunch and the sale of citrus and gift basket sales brought in more than $16,000 for distribution. The following received grant funds:
· Regional Food Bank — $3,000 for the Backpack Program for 15 students for a year in Norman
· Meals on Wheels — $2,000 for 644 free meals
· Central Community Action — $2,000 for prescription assistance for Norman residents
· Assistance League — $500 for personal care kits for at-risk students
· Food and Shelter — $1,000 for job training program for the homeless
· Big Brothers Big Sisters — $1,000 to underwrite background checks for volunteers
· Food for Thought Learning Center — $2,000 toward Baby Steps program for teen parents
· Full Circle — $500 for exercise sessions
· Success by Six — $1,700-plus toward purchase of books
· First Choice Recovery — $1,000 for performance rewards for participants in drug court program
· Regional Infant Crisis Services — $500 for food and diapers for needy Norman infants
· RSVP — $500 to mileage support for medical transportation
The committee includes community projects funding chair Dan Barney, Anne Clouse, Lynn Palmerton, Phil Cotten, David Hopper, Kristin Collins, Leon Price and Larry Hazelwood.
The Norman Rotary Club was charted May 1, 1919. Membership information is available at normanrotary.org or by calling Craig Heaton at 823-0817.
Breaking news, severe weather alerts, AMBER alerts, sports scores from The Norman Transcript are available as text messages right to your phone or mobile device. You decide which type of alerts you want to receive. Find out more or to signup, click here.