NORMAN — Nominations are now being accepted for the 2014 Oklahoma Humanities Awards, which will be presented March 27 in Oklahoma City.
The annual event, led by the Oklahoma Humanities Council (OHC), honors outstanding contributions to the humanities in Oklahoma. The deadline for nominations is Oct. 1.
OHC Executive Director Ann Thompson said the annual awards are an opportunity for OHC to acknowledge individuals and organizations that are working hard to improve the quality of life for Oklahomans.
“Oftentimes, we take cultural events for granted. This is an opportunity for communities to nominate individuals and organizations that add so much to civic life,” Thompson said.
Nominations are encouraged for humanities projects that took place between July 1, 2012, and June 30 in the following categories:
· Oklahoma Humanities Award: Honoring an individual who has contributed significantly to the understanding of the humanities in Oklahoma.
· Public Humanities Award: Honoring an individual scholar responsible for outstanding public humanities programming in a library, museum, historical society or other cultural institution.
· Community Leadership Award: Honoring an institution or individual that creates or participates in a community-based program promoting public understanding of ideas and issues related to humanities.
· Community Support Award: Honoring a business, foundation or individual that has contributed critical financial support to public humanities programming in Oklahoma.
· Humanities in Education Award: Honoring a K-12 administrator, instructor, tribal education program or school district that exhibits or supports excellence in humanities education.
· Outstanding OHC Project: Recognizing an outstanding humanities project made possible by an Oklahoma Humanities Council program or grant.
Award recipients are selected by a committee of the Board of Trustees of the Oklahoma Humanities Council. OHC staff will work with awardees and nominators in the production of videos that will be presented at the awards dinner.
Videos of previous awardees can be viewed at youtube.com/OKHumanitiesCouncil.
Nomination forms and guidelines are posted at okhumanities.org/oklahoma-humanities-awards.
For additional information, contact OHC Program Officer Caroline Lowery at firstname.lastname@example.org or 235-0280.