NORMAN — Tornadoes followed by rain and flooding delayed road work and created mowing challenges for county crews this year. Now, with the weather hot and dry, the biggest challenge is keeping the men hydrated.
“We’re chipping along,” Commissioner Rusty Sullivan said. “We’ll be catching up with our road chipping, but we’re still dealing with flooding damage in some areas.”
The Cleveland County Board of County Commissioners amended an agreement with Norman and Oklahoma City for a street resurfacing project on Southeast 149th Street from Choctaw Road to Post Road during the Monday BOCC meeting.
The previous agreement was for $1 million. That has been amended for up to $1.25 million. Commissioner Rod Cleveland said the adjustment was made due to a shift in the phasing of the project.
Road work presents challenges and safety remains a high priority to commissioners.
“Every employee in District 2 received a safety bonus,” Commissioner Darry Stacy said. “It’s dangerous work and I appreciate them taking it seriously.”
In routine business, commissioners approved up to $15,000 for the Community Action Agency to provide aid to “needy citizens.” The annual renewal allows for a continuing partnership with other counties and municipal agencies. Most times the money is used for indigent burials, Cleveland said.
In other business, county commissioners tabled a bid for removal of carpet and purchase of new carpet for the Cleveland County Health Department, 250 12th Ave. NE in Norman. The BOCC awarded a bid for bulk purchase of white multipurpose paper to low bidder Office Depot for $4,958.
Also approved was an Alcoholic Beverage Tax of $50,891. The money is collected by the court clerk’s office.
County commissioners approved the following blanket purchase orders:
· District 1 — Palace Auto Supply $3,500; Pamer Johnson Enterprises $1,000; Fox Building Supply $1,200
· District 2 — Locke Supply Co. $1,000; Fred’s Tire & Battery $1,500; Automotive Maintenance Products $500; Chickasaw Personal Communications $1,000; P& K Equipment $1,500; American Logo & Sign $1,000; Maxwell Supply $500; Wayest Safety $750; Edwin D. Tomlinson $500
· District 3 — P&K Equipment $1,500
· Commissioners Office — Cox Communications $750
· Sheriff’s Department — Binswanger Glass $500; Palace Auto Supply $500; Noble Hardware $200; Copelin’s Office Center $800; United Refrigeration $300; Locke Supply Co. $200; Bob Barker Co $300; Copelin’s Office Center $500