Police have apprehended a suspect in connection with an alleged carjacking that occurred last month in Norman.
According to a release issued by the Norman Police Department, Robert Joe Fryrear was located and arrested Wednesday in Oklahoma City. He was booked into Oklahoma County Jail pending charges for his involvement in the incident which was reported to have occurred on Nov. 18.
While walking through the parking lot at 2900 Apartments, University of Oklahoma student Kaleigh Guess said she was carjacked at gunpoint. Guess said a man matching Fryrear stole her car, and with it nearly everything else, including her wallet, personal items and parts of her band uniform.
Two days later, Norman police recovered the vehicle. Guess said it was “pretty trashed,” but expressed relief that it had been found. She said she was surprised it was located so quickly and praised the efforts of police, who she said responded within minutes after she initially reported the incident.
Court records show Fryrear was convicted in 2015 of two counts of domestic assault and battery and has numerous other DUI-related convictions on his record.
None injured in house fire
No one was injured in a duplex fire Tuesday evening, Norman Deputy Fire Chief Mike Wilson said.
Wilson said fire crews responded at about 6 p.m. to a structure fire in the 3800 block of Belhaven Circle. It took about 10 minutes to completely extinguish the fire, which was contained to where it started.
Wilson said the fire caused some smoke and heat damage to the duplex. Occupants of the duplex were home at the time of the fire, but they were able to escape.
Norman firefighters rescued an OU employee Tuesday who fell roughly 20 feet into a below-ground maintenance area. According to OU Daily, the injured employee, who reportedly fell through a grate behind Couch Center residence hall, was transported to OU’s Trauma One Center at OU Medicine.
The following people were charged with felony counts in the Cleveland County Court Clerk’s Office:
• Bramlett, Colby Ryan, 42, faces four felony peeping Tom charges.
• Kelly, Austin Tyler, 25, faces charges of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, possessing methamphetamine-misdemeanor, possessing or selling drug paraphernalia-misdemeanor, receiving or concealing stolen property-misdemeanor, and credit card violations-misdemeanor.
• Thompson, Jamie Lee, 36, faces charges of domestic assault and battery after a previous felony conviction, domestic assault and battery, kidnapping, and interfering with an emergency telephone call-misdemeanor.
• Prentice, Rena Lynn, 27, faces charges of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, receiving or concealing stolen property-misdemeanor, credit card violations-misdemeanor, and a bogus check charge-misdemeanor.
• N. Jones Ave. and E. Robinson St.: At 3:34 p.m., two vehicles were involved in a non-injury collision.
— Transcript Staff