The Norman Police Department advises about Craigslist scams. This is one crime prevention tip in a series of four regarding Craigslist scams:
1. Deal locally, face-to-face — follow this one rule and avoid 99 percent of scam attempts.
2. Do not extend payment to anyone you have not met in person.
3. Beware offers involving shipping. Deal with locals you can meet in person.
4. Never wire funds (e.g. Western Union). Anyone who asks you to is a scam artist.
5. Don't accept cashier/certified checks or money orders. Banks cash fakes, then hold you responsible.
6. Transactions are between users only; no third party provides a "guarantee."
7. Never give out financial information (bank account, Social Security, PayPal account, etc).
8. Do not rent or purchase sight unseen — that amazing deal may not exist.
9. Refuse background and credit checks until you have met the landlord or employer in person.