Gene DeBerry, formerly of Christian Fellowship Bible Church, is opening his home from 10:30 a.m. to noon Sundays for a senior-only Bible study and church.
DeBerry and his wife, Jeanne, live at 1237 Barkley Ave., a few blocks east of the University of Oklahoma campus off Boyd Street.
Quoting 1 Corinthians 16:19, "The churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla salute you much in the Lord, with the church that is in their house," and Acts 2:46, 5:42 and 20:20, DeBerry said each Sunday he will offer songs from old-fashioned hymnals, prayer and a bible message.
Church history, he said, shows that Christians didn't meet publicly in their own buildings until over 200 years after the Lord ascended back into Heaven.
"They met in their homes," DeBerry said. "And could it be that this same principle will touch many Christians to meet in homes before He comes again? If so, then home meetings after his first coming and before his second coming could be considered as two bookends on either side of the present Church age."
The services are intended to be non-denominational, he said.
"We wanted to do this seniors-only because a lot of the seniors, when they go to the larger churches in town, aren't happy with all the noise, the music, all that," DeBerry said. "We wanted to make this a quieter, back to the old-style of singing, service... There are no expenses involved, so there will be no need of a collection plate being passed under your nose."
For more information about the seniors-only services, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call DeBerry at (405) 834-0798.
This Week's Circulars
Nickey Ruth Ketner, 76, of Norman, died June 11, 2021. Visitation: 6:00-8:00pm, Tuesday, June 15th, Havenbrook Funeral Home-Norman. Funeral: 2:00pm, Wednesday, June 16th, at the funeral home. Interment: Norman I.O.O.F. Cemetery. Live-stream link available on Nickey's tribute page at www.have…
Debra Jean Eastham, 67, passed from this life in Norman, Oklahoma. Services are pending at this time. Please sign the online guestbook at www.primrosefuneralservice.com
- Horning: Coaches need to tell NCAA what's acceptable and threaten not showing up
- OU Softball (Extra Frames): Gasso makes the case for replay
- Horning: Five things to remember and take away from a wonderful and poorly scheduled WCWS
- OU Softball (Extra Frames): Controversy marks seventh inning
- Horning: Her whole team won, but it was Juarez who improbably made it possible
- Horning: Getting to Game 3, Sooners, Seminoles deserve a bigger stage
- OU Softball (Extra Frames): Sooners broke record after record, all season and at the World Series
- OU Softball: Juarez keep it going, bats back her up, Sooners win fifth national championship
- Horning: Gasso, Sooners do too much wrong, make it easy on Seminoles
- OU Softball: Not themselves, Sooners in another World Series hole after waiting too long to respond