Meals on Wheels of Norman Inc.
· A 501(c)(3) non profit organization, Meals on Wheels of Norman began serving the community Jan. 21, 1972, as the Norman Mobile Meals Council, under the direction of the late Tedo Prickett, executive director and co-founder.
· Food delivery originally was provided by the University of Oklahoma’s Food Services Department. Later, the meals were handled by the Senior Citizen’s Center. Currently, Norman Regional Hospital prepares all meals.
· Norman Mobile Meals Council changed its name to Meals on Wheels of Norman Inc. in 1986. Meals on Wheels has an active board of directors, three full-time, and one part-time staff.
· Clients must live within the Norman City Limits and be ill, disabled or elderly. The price per meal is based on a sliding scale ranging from Free to $5.75 and is dependent upon the client’s income. The clients range in age from 25 years old to 100 years old. If a client is under 60 years of age, a referral from the client’s physician is required to begin receiving meals.
· In 2004, Meals on Wheels began the Animeals Program by delivering pet food to clients along with the regular Meals on Wheels meal for their furry companions. Officials at the agency realized that many of its clients were forced to share their noontime meal with their pets because in many situations, their financial resources were too tight to purchase pet food. Meals on Wheels accepts monetary donations for pet food, as well as purchased pet food. Currently, pet food is sent out one time per month to clients or upon request.
· To find out about Meals on Wheels or Animeals Program, call 321-7272 or e-mail email@example.com.
This column is an effort to introduce you to the many service organizations at work in Norman. Each week a different group will be featured. If you have information on your group, e-mail Features Editor Shana Adkisson at sadkisson@ normantranscript.com or call her at 366-3544.