CNHI News Service

The second victim in a small plane crash near Interstate 35 in Norman Saturday has been identified as Norman resident Paul Dwight Black.

Black, 50, enjoyed flying and had several pilot friends who would take him up flying in their small planes, the victim's son, Aaron Black said.

"That was his hobby," Aaron Black told The Transcript in a telephone conversation Sunday. "He wanted to get his private pilot's license himself, but never finished the program. He had a circle of friends who would take them up in their planes."

Black went flying "a couple of times a month," and enjoyed flying with his younger son Michael Black, of Wichita, Kan., who is a licensed pilot, Aaron Black said.

Black, an electrical engineer loved to build things and work with his hands and would often help his friends with their home-built planes, Aaron Black said.

"He had a friend who wanted some better seat covers in his plane and he just figured it out and made them by hand himself," he said.

The plane involved in the crash Saturday was an RV-7, a single-engine two-seat airplane. The RV-7 is sold by the aviation company Van's Aircraft as a kit that people build themselves.

Black and Robert C. Noble Jr., 50, of Choctaw, left Twin Lakes Airport in Midwest City early Saturday morning in Noble's RV-7 headed for Max Westheimer Airport in Norman. The plane crashed 100 yards West of I-35 at about 8:41 a.m. Saturday. Both men died of "traumatic cardiac arrest," at Norman Regional Hospital shortly after the crash, Norman deputy fire Chief Jim Bailey told The Norman Transcript Saturday.

Witnesses to the crash told The Transcript Saturday the plane seemed to have engine problems and Noble appeared to have made an effort to land the plane away from buildings or people.

"He knew what he was doing," Shandana Majors said, a sales director for Norman Chrysler Jeep Dodge who saw the crash. "I think it was pretty brave and pretty smart of him. He decided to take it down there. It definitely makes you feel bad for them."

Two similar small planes landed safely at Max Westheimer before the crash, Federal Aviation Association Spokesman Roland Herwig told The Transcript Saturday.

Herwig repeated his comment to news media Sunday that an FAA investigation into the crash would take anywhere from six months to a year.

"The only thing I have to add today is that the wreckage has been removed," he said.

Aaron Black, who flew to Oklahoma from his home in New York City Saturday after he heard word of his father's death, said he wants people to know what kind of person his father was.

"He was a very good man," he said. "He coached our little league team even after I dropped out and bought uniforms for the kids who couldn't pay for them. I couldn't have had a better father."

Aaron Black also said he and his family have appreciated the support of friends and neighbors after the death of his father.

"I've been pretty amazed by the way people have responded," he said. "We have a house full of food at this point."

Trending Video