HOUSTON — A lot can change in two weeks. Oklahoma proved in Saturday in its second game of the Coca-Cola Classic against Lamar.
The Sooners amassed 17 hits and rolled to an 11-4 victory over the Cardinals. The victory came 13 days after falling 21-9 to same team.
Steven Guerra improved to 3-0 by recording seven strikeouts over 6 2/3 innings of five-hit ball.
OU (6-3) also gave hime plenty of run support.
Joseph Hughes made his first start in center field and came through with a 3-for-5 performance with four RBIs.
“It was nice to see our offense get back into the swing of things,” OU coach Sunny Golloway said. “Not only was our offense solid, but Steven pitched a great game and our defense was its normal self.”
The Sooners pulled away early with a four-run second inning. Hughes plated Ryan Rohlinger and Ryan Mottern with a bases-loaded single. Chuckie Caufield followed with an run-scoring single to center field and Aaron Reza finished off the inning with squeeze bunt to score Hughes.
Reza added a sacrifice fly in the fourth inning before OU added two runs in the fifth and two more in the sixth frame.
Russell Raley had two of the Sooners’ RBI in the fifth and sixth innings, while Rohlinger and Hughes brought in the other two runs.
Lamar’s William Delage (1-1) lasted 5 2/3 innings after allowing nine Sooner runs on 12 hits.
The Sooners conclude action in the Coca-Cola Classic at noon today against Long Beach State .
This Week's Circulars
Jerry Hughes, 75 of Norman passed away on April 3, 2020. Services will be held at a later date. Arrangements are under the direction of Primrose Funeral Service.
Byron Anthony Mills, Jr., 69, passed away on 4/3/2020. Services are pending with Tribute Memorial Care. Condolences may be left for the family at www.tribute.care
Lee Stewart passed 02/23/2020, he will be forever missed by his wife Florence of 29 yrs, son John Paulson, daughter Kalee Paulson, nieces Michelle, Faun, and Angie, and his fur babies Caesar and Drake Mojo.
Noretta M. Clayton, (92) of Norman passed away on April 2nd at the Norman Regional Hospital. Services are pending with McMahans Funeral Home.
Anita R. Mason, (85) of Noble passed away at her daughters home, Marsha Blair on April 2nd. Services pending with McMahans Funeral Home.
- City decides steps taken to make golf and other activities safe in Norman have not been enough
- No more golf in Norman; other activities also ruled non-essential
- Prosecutors target coronavirus fraud, gouging
- Additional residents at Norman nursing facility test positive for COVID-19
- Sixth Cleveland County resident dies; 60 COVID-19 cases reported in county
- Norman diagnostic test manufacturer now processing COVID-19 tests
- Norman Regional opens new primary care clinic
- Dealership says city targeted his business, others remain open
- 1 new COVID-19 death in Cleveland County as county case total rises to 130
- Official state COVID-19 case total reaches 719; 87 cases in Cleveland County